Good friend and EMS instructor stud, Kirk Harris, is now offering a Wilderness Medical class for healthcare professionals through Roane State.
Learn how to deal with difficult environments,improvise equipment and make crucial medical decisions in remote regions with confidence. Apply your urban emergency care knowledge asour seasoned instructors guide you through five days of intense, hands-on learning. The WUMP course will keep you engaged in wilderness medicine curriculum through case studies and practical scenarios with mock patients.
Roane State Community College instructors are Advanced Wilderness Life Support certified with over 100 years of experience in Emergency Medicine and Search & Rescue. Additionally, Roane State’s Wilderness Program is nationally recognized as a leader in Wilderness Medicine for the past 19 years.
Our program is scenario driven with hands on experience!! We teach leadership and management skills and have been involved in the Wilderness Medical Society’s Medical Student Elective for over 15 years.
- Introduction to Wilderness Medicine:
- Whats the difference Frontcountry vs backcountry: Protocol Differences
- The Patient Assessment System
- Triage. The Sorting of Patients
- The Acute Stress Reaction and Shock
- Orthopedic Injuries & Dislocations
- Soft tissue Injuries & Wound Treatment
- Closed Head Injuries
- Chest Injuries
- The Environment
- Cold Injury
- Cold Water Immersion
- Heat Injury
- Acute Mountain Syndromes
- Avalanche Medicine
- Bites & Stings: The Venom Bunch
- Anaphylaxis & the EpiPen Auto –injector
- The Medical Patient in the Wilderness
- SAR & Patient Evacuation
- Wildmed Psychiatric Medicine
- What do I take? From Personal Survival Kit to the Expedition Bag
Prerequisites: This course is designed for EMTs, nurses, physicians, physician assistants, other medical professionals and medical students. You must be 18 years old to attend this class.