BigPig Outdoor’s welcomes guest instructor Rob Speiden on the weekend of November 7th & 8th. Rob is the Virginia Department of Emergency Management Foundations for Awareness, Signcutting and Tracking (F.A.S.T.) Lead Instructor, a member of multiple SAR teams, a Level III Tracker and Track and Sign Interpreter under the Cybertracker standards, and a veteran of more than 200 search missions to date. You can read his full bio here: http://trackingschool.com/instructors/rob-speiden
Animal Tracking – Saturday, November 7th
What made that track, scat or other disturbance? Discover the many mysteries of the creatures that inhabit nature. This class will increase your awareness of and ability to find and interpret tracks and sign left behind by mammals, insects, birds and more. Students will need to be prepared to be outside for the day. Topics covered will include:
- Track measurements
- Foot morphology
- Species identification from footprints
- Animal sign such as scat, rubbing, scratching, bites, beds, territory marking, etc.
Human Tracking – Sunday, November 8th
Explore the ancient skill of visually tracking humans (aka man-tracking). This course teaches the basic sciences of tracking skills. You will learn the principles of Detecting, Interpreting, Recording and Trailing sign of the passage of humans, be they lost, missing or evasive.
- Use tools to identify and record track evidence of a particular individual
- Learn to see difficult tracks and sign in a variety of ground covers
- Understand the science and art of aging tracks and sign
For more info or to sign up, visit http://www.bigpigoutdoors.net/tracking.html